How can I prepare for floods?
When claiming for flood damage on your insurance remember the do's and don'ts below:
- Do make sure that you have home insurance and that you are covered for flood damage
- Do telephone your insurance companys 24-hour emergency helpline to get the process started as soon as possible.
- Do commission immediate emergency pumping and repair work to protect your property from further damage.
- Do get advice from your insurance company on reputable contractors and builders.
- Do check your policy booklet to see if the loss or damage is covered under your policy (see also your insurance companys website). If so, check the limits of such cover.
- Do complete the claim form confirming the cause of damage and enclose repair/replacement estimates.*
- Do check with your insurer if you have to move into alternative accommodation, as this is often covered by your policy.?
- Do make sure your insurance company knows where to contact you if you have to move out of your home.
- Do keep an inventory of all your written and telephone correspondence with your insurance company.
- Do record the damage caused by the flood on a camera or video recorder.
- Do mark the water levels on the walls for reference.
- Don't begin any work without the approval of your insurance company.
- If possible don't throw anything out before it is seen by an assessor, alternatively photograph items before disposal
*Remember your insurance policy is not a maintenance contract. Normal wear and tear is not included under your policy.