How can I prepare for floods?
Advice for elderly & those with mobility difficulties
The safety of older people or those with mobility difficulties is one of the most important things to consider in a flood.
- Make sure that an elderly or immobile family member, neighbour or friend has a place to stay in the event of a flood.
- If you have a disability contact your Health Board and ask them how they will help if you are at risk from flooding.
- Plan an escape route, particularly if you are in a bungalow.
- If you live in a house and have window locks, always keep a key upstairs so that youll be able to let rescuers in.
- Make a list of useful numbers and keep it in a safe place.
The list should include:
- Family and neighbours who can help.
- Your Local Authority & Health Board.
- Your insurance company claim and emergency numbers.