What to do in the event of a flood?
Floodwater will often be contaminated, usually by untreated sewage, spilled chemicals or dead animals.
- Always wear protective clothing when working in or near floodwater.
- Wash all cuts and cover them with waterproof plasters.
- If you receive a wound during a flood you should go to a
doctor and get a tetanus injection.
- Small children, pregnant women, elderly people and those with mobility difficulties or other health problems should be kept away from floodwater.
- If you feel unwell at any stage or if you ingest floodwater you should contact a doctor.